3/08/2010

What the...



Everybody please stay away from me!

Well, that is if you're supersticious.
(I'm usually not!)

But for some reason I just seem to attract trouble lately.

The above picture is me checking how much my face is actually bleeding after running
Maruia Falls.
The very bottom one is our ride back to Christchurch. Rather wrecked.

But I shouldn't start here.
Good things first I guess.

After a lot of convincing, repeated messages, kind words and promises of an unforgettable weekend I made my way to Bullerfest. (Thanks Jordy, Barny and Nils!)
And I have to admit, it was amazing! Unlike a lot of events back home every skill level, every age, every style of boating was to be found within the crowd that made the pilgrimage.
The only on-water activity I partook in was the raft race - we killed the first heat starting late and finishing first and then got last in the second. So much fun though!

Apart from that I did the middle Matakitaki with a bunch of good friends and partied my face off on both nights. Amazing spirits!

So congrats to Ben Jackson and his team for an amazing job hosting one of the funnest events I've been to!

Not a whole lot of Buller shots, too hungover most of the time. But:
The main site on saturday for raft and slalom
The weather was horrible, can you tell?

People were wearing eight layers of down gear.
Nobody smiled.

And yes, slalom can be done for fun and by everyone.
Tits on fire!

Tired and happy we made our way back to Christchurch on Sunday.
My one goal for the weekend was to do Maruia Falls, but up to the point of leaving I just couldn't find time or the right people.
It wasn't until we were almost there that Anna offered to stop and wait for me to run it. I was pumped!

I saw the first shots of Maruia Falls about eleven years ago, when Arnd Schaeftlein was showing us the "waters of wisdom" on VHS tape!
It's not a hard drop. At all!
But rather scenic.
And fun!
Following shots by Tyler Da Silva

My first run was sweet. I was in a bit of a rush, as the girls only stopped to let me run it. Thanks Anna!
Boof stroke, tuck, stomp! So smooth!

My second run.
My intention was to wheel it, changed that last second and pulled another boof.
Very flat, very high up.
Flexibility is key if you try to kiss your cockpit. Split my nose.
Taped in hospital a while later. I am now off for a week.
And the swell here in Christchurch is pumping!!!!

As if that wasn't enough.
The grand finale.
Span representing mad rallye skills as we tried a new line.
Straight is the new right!
Everybody was fine, just meant another night in Murchison.
And a future of cycling for the unlucky owner. Sorry Span!

Well. So now I am back here, sore face, whiplashed neck, four more days of work with people staring at my nose, and then: Relaxation. Seven days of seakayaking, fishing and chilling in the Marlborough Sounds. Maybe I'll make it without carnage this time. Who knows?

Peace,
Sven

No comments: