3/01/2010

KARMA!

It's been over ten years now that I've been running whitewater and thus been traveling and living out of cars quite a bit. I never had anything happen to me, Cameras, travelgear, kayakgear, whole lives carried around in a car are obviously quite attractive for the criminal mind.

So I guess it's just been a matter of time until what happened would happen.

A few weeks ago I went for a hike. I'm not much of a hiker, but there was no water in the rivers to begin with so I decided to give it a try. Croesus Track, crossing the Paparoa Range near Greymouth, West Coast of New Zealand. A good friends recommendation, supposedly one of the most beautiful spots he's seen!
I started late, busted up the track and loved every second of it. Arrived at a hut just before sunset, got invited for some food by the couple that was staying there and as I was wondering why I didn't see their transport in the carpark they mentioned that they had been warned by locals that this exact spot was prone for break-ins. I was worried, but shook the thoughts off. 7km rough gravel, mid week, main tourist season over, I convinced myself that my car would be alright.
The next morning I continued the track, parting from the two, they went back to the carpark. I made good progress, scenery was stunning, just myself on one of the most stunning ridges I've seen! After making it down to the sea I hitchhiked back tot the carpark. No more than five minutes wait for any of the three rides that would get me all the way back to my truck. I would be there the same time the two others would be! I was stoked, everything seemed to be running so smooth.

Until I got to the carpark. When I checked the spot where I parked my car I instinctively looked around to see where it could be. There was a car in the same spot, but not a lot reminded of the big black and white Mitsubishi Pajero that I was so proud of.

The fire had only left metal, even the windscreen was melted down, well, you see the photos. The rock on the passenger's seat killed the thought of accident or self inflicted fire pretty quickly.
In the car was my complete kayaking gear, boat, paddle, pretty much everything that I owned and couldn't fit into the daypack I was carrying. My whole life gone in an instant!

Quite a while later I am sitting at the desk at PaddlerZone, the kayakshop I'm working at.
The past weeks have been an amazing display of openness, friendliness, helpfulness ot of everyone I know. PaddlerZone was helping me out with gear, friends gave me clothes, invited me for beers, even offered paying for my Laser Eye that was so close but now moved into a far distance again. I am now playing a new guitar, signed by seventeen friends - my little washburn disappeared as well. Sponsors offered to help out. At this spot:
Thanks so much to everyone!!!
Funnily enough losing pretty much all my possessions made me realize that I am still very rich. Living a restless lifestyle like I do these days it is incredible to see that kind of support!

And the mail I have in my inbox makes me smile! Satisfaction overcomes me, a bit of an evil smile, too. The police has found my paddles and camera lenses on someones property. The first person is arrested, they're trying to find the rest.
It is Karma. What you deserve is what you get!

Being aware of this I am looking forward to one and a half more months in New Zealand! An incredible country with outstanding people.
Next weekend I'll be attending the infamous Bullerfest, I'll be seakayaking for a week, hopefully hit some more rivers, hike (why did I never try that before?). Wow!

Okay, thought I'd share that story, but I also owe a few pictures. This time I included a bit more than just the standard kayak shots. Being able to live the life I'm living is definitely worth the hassle I went through! This place is stunning!
Bare with me if they're all over the place...

Parked quite well, don't you think?
Only metal left.
In the foreground you see a bit of a burnt bush.
It was really dry the weeks before, so not only did those people screw my life over but also almost set the hill on fire!

The Croesus Hutt!
In any other situation I would have said this was worth any trouble!
Stunning spot - Thanks DOC (department of conservation)

Same spot, now how is that morning view?

Tree on the track.

Work: Guiding the Waimakariri.
70km of class I-II, the kayak leg of the infamous
coast to coast race.

Max Siech styling as usual.
Upper Kakapotahi

Thomas Voessing: last stroke before the blind mandatory.
Upper Kakapotahi

Following shots in reverse order:
Nils Moeller, Upper Styx

Milos Trnka, Upper Styx

A throwbag. That's right Nils! Used to rescue people.
Good boy!
Richard Bax Clark, First Rapid Upper Styx

Waiting for Milos. Worse places to hang out.

Another team on the Styx.
One crew lost and broke a total of four paddles!

Best seats! Cheers Dando!

The master at work.

Nils, you really should focus more if you're flying a chopper!
Different day. Beer and good river days are always good!
Crew: Me, Gaz, Sam, Kev, JV, Jye
photo jeremy holiday

Oh, yeah, another Croesus view

Local fun: Nils rappelling off Castle Rock, Christchurch

Occasionaly I have somewhat nice views from my house.

Suggested Actionlines should not be ended upside down in rocks.
The price you pay: A snapped brand new paddle!
Check the flex on that spare!
Upper Kakapotahi, blind mandatory boof next to sieve...
picture courtesy of max siech

Peace!
Sven

No comments: